23 Nov

What Morton’s Neuroma? Here Is What You Need To Know

Foot Problems From Morton's Neuroma
Foot Problems From Morton’s Neuroma

Morton’s neuroma is a condition that you can develop from wearing high heels for too long. But what is it exactly? In this article, we are going to talk more about Morton’s neuroma and how you can go about treating it if you are suffering from it.

Mortons neuroma is something that you will feel in the ball of your feet, that is, in the area of the soles of your feet, usually in the area between your third and fourth foot. You will know you have it if there is a slight bump in that area, or if wearing high heels becomes too painful.

Apparently, this condition develops when the tissue surrounding the nerves that lead up to your toes. Although it is painful, it is not life-threatening, it is painful though, and if you add it to the daily stresses of your life, it can become unbearable. Thankfully, though, dealing with Mortons neuroma can be as easy as wearing low-heeled shoes with a wide area at the toes.

In some cases, however, corticosteroid injections and may be even surgery. If you are feeling pain in the ball of your foot, make sure to go to a doctor. But which doctor do you go to? You go to a podiatrist. A podiatrist is a doctor that specializes in the foot.
If you live in a large area, you shouldn’t have a problem finding this foot specialist. If you don’t have one living nearby though, just go to Yelp or Google to see if there are any podiatric clinics living in the nearby cities. When you see a foot doctor, not only will your Mortons neuroma be treated. If you have any other problems in the area of your foot, that will be solved too.

The kind of treatment that you need for your Mortons neuroma really depends on the severity of your condition. If it’s only a slight thickening of the tissue, your podiatrist might recommend special shoes that are hand-crafted to make walking more comfortable. Be prepared, though, because doctor-recommended shoes are often expensive, and it’s not unusual to find a pair that costs over $100, when a pair of rubber shoes will only set you back by $50 or so.

In any case, you only get what you pay for, and what you get with special medical shoes is relief from the pain of the thickening of an area in the ball of your feet.
We said earlier that you may need corticosteroid injections or surgery. What is a cortisone shot? It’s really nothing more than an steroids injection to your body to prevent the release of pain hormones. In other words, when you get a shot, neuroma will not go away, but the pain will. You may need to get more than one shot depending on how long the drug lasts.

If you want permanent relief, you might want to schedule a minor surgery on your foot. We do not know, however, if this can be covered by health insurance.